Great employees are often hard to find, yet are worth their weight in gold. They make life easier for their manager, add so much value in customer facing situations and are great to work with. They work well in a team situation as well as individually.
Yet what habits do they have in common?
Thanks to a recent article by Marcel Schwantes a writer for Inc magazine, where he identified the top habits of extremely valuable employees and what they all had in common, which I thought was well worth sharing.
- They are active listeners and reflect back what they hear to clarify – such a powerful skill to have as effective communication is critical to ensure understanding in the workplace and avoid mistakes being made.
- They have high emotional intelligence (EQ) – they know how their behaviour impacts others and they can easily change their communication style to suit each situation.
- They have a high degree of patience, they think things over with a rational and level head – another great trait to possess as they can be relied on in a crisis to think things through.
- They avoid drama, which is often down to their higher EQ – they can diffuse emotionally charged moments with a calm demeanour.
- They are good at managing their emotions – another characteristic of high EQ, whereby they have great self control.
- They reject multitasking because they avoid juggling many things – this means they are successful in managing their time and don’t get caught up in trying to do too many things at once and therefore reducing the quality of their work.
- They value and practice well-being during work hours – by focusing on their health they are great at knowing when they are at their best and work accordingly.
- They are great at managing themselves by managing their life, tasks and priorities efficiently – they just get stuff done with a minimum of fuss, are adept at saying no to people when needed and are focused on achieving what needs to be achieved.
Wouldn’t you like to employ someone with these great habits?
Roger Simpson – CEO, The Retail Solution and Author of “The Ultimate Retail Sales Experience” With over 35 years’ industry experience, Roger Simpson is recognized as Australia’s #1 Authority on customer ROI in the retail industry and as a global expert on staff coaching, customer service, and selling skills.