Recruiting the right team members is definitely an ongoing challenge as is managing the performance of your existing team. Without great team members a business can’t survive and in the world of retail this means those hard-earned customers won’t be back. Having the right team members in place makes everything so much easier for customers, fellow team members and especially the team leader.
So, what do you look for when you recruit new team members? And how do you measure whether your existing team members are achieving great things? There are many success factors, however I wanted to narrow it down to just 8 to make it more measurable and manageable.
Here are 8 attributes that great team members bring to work every day:
1) Motivated by a sense of excellence – they won’t settle for doing an average job, they are focused on getting it right every single time.
2) They embrace change – change is their currency, they are always looking for better ways to do things and are quick to take on board new ways of doing things.
3) They love to learn new things – they know that their continued success relies on them being at the forefront of new and improved ways of doing things and new technologies that make it easier for them and their customers.
4) Fun to be around – they bring a sense of fun to the job, because they love what they do. They are quick to build rapport with customers using their fun and passionate approach to build strong relationships and trust.
5) They are an ideas machine – via a passion for ongoing learning, they are quick to raise ideas and always challenge the status quo.
6) They take responsibility – they are not afraid to take ownership of their performance as they know they give their best and will learn from any mistakes that happen
7) Are great team members – they always look out for the team mates, offering to help and constantly go out of their way to help the team succeed, not just themselves.
8) Don’t like wasting time – they know that their time is a valuable commodity so are always focused on looking at better and faster ways of doing things without cutting corners.
Imagine the power of your business if you recruited and had in your business team members with these attributes. There needs to be more of these brilliant team members recruited into retail, so customers get to experience just how great retail can be.
Roger Simpson – CEO, The Retail Solution and Author of “The Ultimate Retail Sales Experience” With over 35 years’ industry experience, Roger Simpson is recognized as Australia’s #1 Authority on customer ROI in the retail industry and as a global expert on staff coaching, customer service, and selling skills.