Retail has been one of the main industries impacted by the lack of available workers, putting a lot of pressure on existing team members. Recent ABS figures confirm that there are close to 50,000 job vacancies in retail and this is not something that will be fixed overnight.
Against this background it’s even more challenging for retailers to attract the right talent with all the competition from other retailers. How does a retailer stand out and capture the heart of current candidates? Retailers have to do more to sell their company to entice potential candidates, (without over promising of course), as the choice is very much with the candidate these days.
When it comes to recruiting top talent, storytelling can be a powerful tool for engaging potential candidates and painting a compelling picture of what it’s like to work at your company. Here are five tips for using storytelling to attract the best team members:
1. Highlight the unique culture of your organisation. Use stories to showcase the values and personality of your company, and how they contribute to a positive and productive work environment.
2. Share stories of career growth and development. This can help potential candidates envision themselves thriving at your company and seeing a clear path for advancement.
3. Share testimonials from current employees. This can be an effective way to build trust and demonstrate that people are happy and fulfilled in their roles at your company.
4. Share the company’s origin story. This can be a good way to create a sense of belonging, a special history and solidarity between your employees and the company.
5. Highlight the impact of the company’s work. Share stories that demonstrate the meaningful impact your organisation has on the world and on the lives of its customers.
Are you ready to start incorporating storytelling into your recruiting efforts?
Roger Simpson – CEO, The Retail Solution and Author of “The Ultimate Retail Sales Experience” With over 35 years’ industry experience, Roger Simpson is recognized as Australia’s #1 Authority on customer ROI in the retail industry and as a global expert on staff coaching, customer service, and selling skills.